Taking Control of Your Name on Google Search Results
While you can’t simply call a 1-800 phone number, or any authoritative online figure you can contact to request that your name to be removed from search engine results like Google, Yahoo, Bing and AOL, if there are websites displaying negative results ranking on the first page of web searches for your name, like those appearing on Bing, Yahoo or Google search results when you type your name into the search bar, there are effective solutions that you can use to remove search results with your name, or the name of your business, from the first page of Google search results, as well as search results by the other major players, such as Bing, Yahoo, AOL, etc.
There are many things you can do to remove web pages displaying your name from the first page of search results on Google, Bing, Yahoo, AOL and other popular search engines. Effectively optimizing the first page of Google searches for your name can be time consuming, however, especially for those less savvy with the computers, networking online or web-based technology. If you are one of these people, and simply do not have time to remove search results for your name yourself, there are now online reputation services that specializing in removing slander and other types of negative search results from the first page of Google or other places on the web. These services range in the price and quality of work they do for clients. If you are a computer/internet proficient, do it yourself type with a little extra times on your hand, then depending on the severity of negative online results you’d like to remove, it may not be to difficult to handle the job yourself.
How to Remove Your Name from Google Search Results First Page
To take charge of the search results for your name and clear any unwanted links to the second, third or fourth page, follow the steps below.
- Create SEO Optimized Profiles and Updates on Social Media
- Create Personal Blogs that target your name as the keyword
- Submit press releases that are SEO optimized for your name or the keyword phrase you wish to control on search results.
These three techniques work to suppress negative content on the search engine results pages for your name, so that people searching for you won’t find the negative content on search results of web search engines like Google, DuckDuckGo, Yahoo and Bing. Below we'll explore each of the above-mentioned techniques and show you how they can be used to clean up, change and/or take control of your name on internet searches.
1. Create SEO Optimized Profiles and Updates on Social Media
By now every online marketer worthy of the title is ready to admit that social media plays an important role in marketing using Search Engine Optimization (SEO) on the internet. Because optimizing search results via SEO marketing is precisely how internet marketers achieve ranking web pages on the first page of Google search results, to remove your name from the first page of results in Google searches it’s important to become familiar with a number of social media networking websites.
Moreover to use social media as part of an SEO strategy geared toward removing negative search results with your name or the name of your business from the first page of Google, it will be necessary to join a handful of these social media, online networking, or community websites and, for best results in removing search results, engage on these sites regularly, learning the ropes of each social site along the way.
One great thing about using social media in your strategy to get your name off the first page of Google is that it is cost efficient. Most social media websites and online networking communities, including several of the best social sites to use for SEO purposes, or to push negative results off of the Google searches first page, are free to join and use without limit.
2. Create Personal Blogs that target your name as the keyword
Another online tool used by internet marketers and online advertisers for SEO purposes that you can use to remove your name from the first page of search results appearing on Google, Bing, Yahoo, AOL or some other search of the World Wide Web is blogging, which surely you’ve heard of before. You probably even know someone that has at least one personal blog, which he or she updates regularly. By now everyone has heard of it, most have seen it, and a large number actively engage in it on a daily basis. Blogs are one of the most popular ways for companies and organizations to get fresh content on the web, and one of the most effective methods used by search engine marketers to influence search engine results on Google for targeted keywords.
Using the same or similar techniques to those used by professional online advertisers or search engine marketers, it is possible for just about anybody with a little time and computer know-how to use a blog to help remove negative results from the first page of Google searches. Using popular blogging services like Blogger, Tumblr, or WordPress, anyone with access to computer and the internet can create a free personal blog for themselves, or a company blog for their business, or a blog on any other topic imaginable.
To remove your name from the first page of Google search results using blogs, be sure to follow the following guidelines on creating a personal blog to get your name off the first page of Google search results.
- Choose one or two blogging platforms to use to start. While there are many great blogging services available to users for free, I recommend selecting from WordPress, Medium, Tumblr, and Blogger, typically in that order, from best to worst.
- Make sure to use the exact spelling of your name or the name that you are trying to get off of first page results in Google searches, as your username when registering with on new blogging platforms and creating personal blogs. It is best that your username is simply the (exact spelling of the) letters of your name or the name your trying to remove from the first page of searches; when possible, usernames should contain no spaces, dashes or dots. This is of particular importance because most blogging services, including those mentioned above, use the username you select when signing up to create a unique URL where your blog will be located on the web, and because the URL you choose for your blog can be valuable to your SEO suppression strategy, and in achieving (top of) first page rankings on Google Search Results. Ranking positive assets at the top of Google Search Results, aids in pushing unwanted search results containing your name off of the first page of search engine results. So again, make sure to use your name as it appears in the negative content for your username and profile handle when signing up to create a blog using free blogging services like WordPress and Medium. Here are a few examples of how your personal blog URL should look, replacing [USERNAME] with your name or the name for which you hope to control search results.
Example 1: [USERNAME].wordpress.com
Example 2: medium.com/@[USERNAME]
Example 3: [USERNAME].tumblr.com
- Whether it be your name, the name of a person, business or organization, use the keyword or name you’d like to take control of as close to the beginning of the blog post title as possible. See the example title below and replace the term “KEYWORD” with your name or the name you’re trying to have removed from Google searches.
Example: The [USERNAME] Blog
3. Submit Press Releases
Press releases are no longer a tool used only by large companies or corporations to make major announcements. Online reputation services and SEO marketers are using press releases everyday to influence search engine results and push websites displaying negative results or slander off of the first page of Google. Undesired search results off of Google’s first page using press releases, article submission, and press release distribution networks.
While most worthwhile press release distribution networks and article submission services online cost anywhere from $50 to $500+ per news article, there are some free press release submission websites that regularly rank high in search results and can help you remove your name from the front page in Google and clear negative information off internet searches.
More tips and tricks on taking control of your reputation and cleaning up your name online
Check out our blog for informative articles packed full of actionable advice on how to take control of your reputation and cleanup your information on Google Search.
Take a look at the trending blog posts below to get started.